Sunday, April 11, 2010
One Word- OBESITY!
Obesity. One simple word. But I don't get it. The government is so concerned with the obesity problems in America, but they do nothing about it. The government can tell all of us that America is FAT but when you don't want to do anything about it, don't comment on it. Children. Children are the concern in America, they are the ones that need to be targeted, and learn about obesity before it becomes a problem for them. But in Pennsylvania at least, how does that work. In Elementary Schools, their Physical Education time has been cut back to once or twice a month. Once or twice a month, but the government is more concerned with Standardized Test scores to worry about how active students are. Why does the government get to decide how much physical activity a student needs if their not really concerned about it? Let's see, I realize standardized test scores are important, but children's health is more important than that. If these children don't know better than eating two cheeseburgers and fries at night because Mom and Dad both work. Then where are they going to learn that those two cheeseburgers and fries will eventually catch up to them if it hasn't already.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThe government does focus on standardized testing but Lady Obama is taking good strides in childhood obesity. She had many young students in the White House last week asking about this issue and bringing it to the table. She is trying by starting with the young children. She asked them what is it going to take to motivate you people to be physically active while it being fun. She also mentioned how it is not okay to eat certain foods every day. She was very down to earth about the whole issue and I gained a new respect for her.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with you that there is a HUGE (literally) problem with obesity in America. I know that the government cares about how much physical activity kids get because I'm sure some of the house and senators' kids are obese. I think one of the major problems with parents and obesity is that there are a lot of people who do not want to spend a lot of money on food. Just look at McDonalds and all of the other fast food joints, all of them have a value menu and although I love to eat the food their, its crap. It's easy for parents to make a quick stop at a fast food place. I think the important thing as PE teachers is to educate the hell out of our kids and get them to understand the importance of nutrition and to NOT wait for the government to step in.
ReplyDelete