Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Lifeguard Terrified of Water

So I am taking the lifeguarding class at Slippery Rock, for the Aquatics Minor. Last Thursday we were in the water doing hands on work. We were backboarding people in the water and then having to put them on the deck. We did this in groups of four. In my group it was me, and three significantly bigger guys. So clearly the logical thing would be to put the smallest person on the backboard that way it was easier to lift them onto the deck, for practice sake. I personally do not like being under water, feeling trapped. I can do the backstroke, but in swim team in high school, I refused to do it during races, because I didn't want to do the flip turn, because everytime I flipped and was on my back under the water, I would freak out because I felt trapped. Same with clearing the masks in Aquatic Fundamentals, I freaked out because all I could see was water in front of my face and I would get scared. So yea, a swim team member, lifeguard, Aquatic Minor, scared of water. But anyways, these guys had to do inline stablization on me in the deep end, and then strap me to the backboard, and lift me onto the deck. Well first of all it is scary when the kid doing inline stablization decides his nose is itchy, so he lets go of your head. Also, when you feel yourself sliding off the board, and none of your group members has noticed to try to help you back on its scary. When your strapped into the board, arms and legs are strapped down, and you feel your face/head slowly start to fall underneath the water, I think you would start to be terrified too. I was just scared, knowing it was a lifeguarding class, that I thought they were more prepared at drowning me then actually saving me.

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly what you mean about feeling trapped under water sometimes. I don't experience it when I am swimming strokes, but with the mask clearing I freaked out quite a bit. I think that you had the right to be scared being in that group. They don't sound like the kind of people I would trust with myself that's for sure. But keep up the minor no matter what your fears are, because it will all be worth it in the end. :)

    ReplyDelete